Tuesday, October 25, 2011

**Quick Assessment: Write your own example of a metaphor

 

Today's Classwork/Homework- Due Tomorrow, 10/26/11        

 

Write an extended metaphor poem in the same style as Langston Hughes answering the mother in "Mother to Son."  Use a different metaphor (rather than crystal stairs) to describe your own insights about life.  

 

Here's an example:

 

Sample “Mother to Son” Poem

Extended Metaphor

Little Soldier

By Julia L.

Mama,

Life ain’t easy;

I know this now.

You give me the strength to fight the battle.

Life is a battle,

Obstacle after obstacle.

I was once a soldier,

Naïve to the death and hardship of war,

But with your wisdom, I am now commander.

Commander of my own troops,

Me, myself, and I.

I may lose a few battles now and then,

And I will certainly triumph over the war.

Thank you for being my trainer.

Thank you for helping me with my quest.

Thank you for being wise and kind

And revealing the key.

The key to the door.

The key to life.

Life ain’t easy,

But I will fight to the finish.

Fight to the death.